Shop Stewards are the representatives of the union in the workplace.
Each union Local has a network of Stewards who voluntarily serve their co-workers by informing them of their rights and responsibilities under the Collective Agreement. They answer questions, help resolve problems, handle grievances, and educate fellow workers about policies of the union.
Stewards are available in most departments or areas of your workplace. Study your Collective Agreement with the assistance of your local Steward, who can help you understand your rights at work. Contact your Chief Shop Steward to obtain the name of the Steward serving your work area or call YEU’s Intake Advisor at 667-2331.
To find out more about the work of Shop Stewards, download the Getting Started Guide
Interested in becoming a steward?
We want to hear from you! And you might have alot of questions too. Talk to your Local President or Chief Shop Steward about how you can get involved and strengthen the presence of the union in the workplace.
The Getting Started Guide is a good resource to give you an overview of the role of Shop Steward.
Once you have decided to take this step, the YEU will train you. Every few months we offer the 2 day Shop Steward Orientation and more training every month at our Shop Steward Round Table sessions. These take place the third Wednesday morning of each month. Take a look at our Events calendar to learn more about upcoming Union Education opportunities.
You can participate in all YEU union education without any loss of pay.
Contact the YEU Union Education Officer Lynne Pajot for any questions on the role of Shop Steward and upcoming educational opportunities.
Shop Steward Handbook
Drop by the Hall to pick up a copy of our Shop Steward Handbook. It is a guidebook to the job and useful to keep on hand at your workplace along with your collective agreement, employer policies and other training material.
Download Individual Handbook Chapters:
- Unions and Stewards – An introduction to our union and how it is organized. Learn more about how Shop Stewards fit into that picture, and about the qualities that make a strong Steward.
- Understanding your Collective Agreement – Your Collective Agreement is the most important document for a Shop Steward. Learn where it comes from and get some tips for reading and understanding it.
- Representing the Union – Shop Stewards work with members when they run into conflicts with the employer, but they also keep members connected with each other and with union staff. That part of your role is explained here.
- Representing at Discipline Meetings – Learn how you can assist your co-workers when disciplinary issues arise or when they are called to a fact-finding meeting.
- Representing at Grievances – Understand your role as a representative when members want to complain about workplace practices or employer decisions.
- Additional Resources – Links to online resources and brief guides to topics of interest
- Glossary of Labour Terms
YG Grievance Procedure Documents
Forms for Stewards
- Grievance & Fact-Finding Meeting Form (PDF to print)
Grievance & Fact-Finding Meeting Form: FILLABLE online
- Shop Steward Record of Complaint: ONLINE form submission
Shop Steward Record of Complaint (PDF to print)
Final Level Grievance Checklist
- Generic Grievance Form (PDF to Print)
Generic Grievance Form (Fillable PDF)
- Education Application [pdf]
Here are all the relevant labour legislation that apply to our workplaces.
All Yukon employees are covered by the:
Most non-Yukon Government employees are covered by the:
and are regulated by the
All Yukon government employees are covered by the:
and are regulated by the
Airline companies are federally regulated, so Air North’s Flight Attendants are covered under the:
Frequently Asked Questions
Shop Stewards get asked lots of questions. Helping members find the answers themselves empowers members and strengthens the union.
You can find the answers to many typical questions here
- Shop Steward Round Table Sessions
- Shop Steward Orientations & Conferences
- PSAC North Training Opportunities (updated regularly)
*Shop Stewards will not lose pay to attend union training. All stewards must complete and submit a signed union leave form. Clearly identify the appropriate contract clauses permitting leave without pay to attend union training on your request for leave. YEU has an agreement with employers, but the form is required by our Finance Officer.
YEU union training is offered during the day. If you work evenings or nights, you can still participate.
Union Training Leave process for evening and night shift workers, AOC and casuals:
If an individual is scheduled to work in the 8 hours proceeding or following training, they will receive payment for that shift. That would mean if they are scheduled for a 12 hour shift, they would be able to take the whole shift off, as in most cases employers will not cover a portion of a shift.
If an AOC/casual is scheduled for a shift they shall receive union leave for that shift. If they are not scheduled but receive a call in for a day that they are on training and can provide proof that they in fact received a call for a shift and had to decline it because of training then they will be paid for the shift.
If you are an AOC or Casual, please contact your Chief Shop Steward or our Education Officer with any questions.
PSAC Steward Resources
When a YEU member calls us for assistance, one pressing concern is the protection of their privacy. We are entrusted with information critical to the grievance process; how we manage that information must be consistent with our commitment to the member.
All Stewards are to deliver grievance materials related to their work with members to the Union Hall for secure storage upon completion of a case. No member files are permanently stored in the Steward’s office or home.
Bulletin Board Materials
If you are a Shop Steward and have not had your photo taken by our Communications Officer, please call the hall and set up an appointment. We'll create a poster for your workplace Union bulletin board with your photo & name, identifying you as a Shop Steward.
Many more items are available for your Union Bulletin Board. Please contact YEU Vice President Paul Johnston to have your workplace union board updated. Email [email protected] or call 867-667-2331 ext. 1010.